Church of St Ninian's
Baxtergate, Whitby, North Yorkshire
St Ninian's was built in 1777-78, by the shipwrights who built Captain Cooks ships, as a Proprietary Chapel. In the late 1980's the Church of England tried to close St Ninian's as a place of worship, and after a lot of arguments and politics the Church of England withdrew its ministry and the congregation was reduced to Morning Prayer on Sundays conducted by members of the congregation. They describe this period as the 'desert years'
In the early 1990's the congregation joined the Anglican Catholic Church however, in 1997 they withdrew from the Church when our then Bishop, Leslie Hamlett left the ACC, however the problems associated with this move came to a conclusion in 2004 when the parish once again entered the full communion of the Anglican Catholic Church. The Rev Philip James French, served as Parish Priest.
Being located in a very popular holiday resort St Ninian's welcomes several thousand visitors a year through the doors. This is a great opportunity for evangelism and one of the greatest ministries for this parish is simply being there, with the doors open, offering an opportunity for people to come in and take some time out, light a candle and share some of the peace Christ has to offer.
On 26th January 2013, the Parish Priest, Fr Philip James French, informed the Bishop that it was intention to resign from the Diocese of the United Kingdom and, together with the Church Wardens, withdraw St Ninian's from the ACC.